пятница, 16 декабря 2016 г.

DIY Drink Station

DIY Drink Station
DIY Drink Station
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

DIY Drink Station from a thrift store side table. Includes a tutorial on how to achieve the weathered paint finish.

When I found out I was doing a fun party in conjunction with my friends at Dr. Pepper {you can see that post here}, I wanted something super fun and vintage-y to hold some of the sodas for the party. I originally planned to build something, but then stumbled onto a great side table at Goodwill. Oh, you know I popped those tags.


See the transformation below>>>


DIY Drink Station from a thrift store side table. Includes a tutorial on how to achieve the weathered paint finish.

Wasn't Goodwill just precious?!? They went and threw in all that dust at no extra charge, y'all. After, I cleaned it up and painted...I was super excited to have a funky vintage drink station for the back porch. I love how there's a shelf for the extras, too.


I cut out a circle the size of my bucket with a jigsaw.

I ended up with a lot of old vintage buckets when my uncle passed away fourteen years ago...he had a bunch of them in his garage and my parents were going to toss them {wha?!?}. I have plants in some of them and a whole lot still looking for good uses {fourteen years later}. I'd love to tell you all about the summer we cleaned out my uncle's home, but that would probably require a few blog posts.


But, I will digress just a little bit. God rest his soul, after his death, we learned my uncle was a bit of a pack rat...which is putting it lightly. To give you an idea, we found my mom's antique crib from when she was a baby {and she was in her sixties when he passed away} tucked into the rafters of the garage. We found dozens of antique family furniture pieces, many {many} sets of china and so much more {it took three months to clean out the home completely}. We realized, upon his death, why he never had anyone over. He was a precious man...but, he came to you {if you know what I mean}. Nobody was invited over. Ever. And we quickly learned why. The entire three months were quite therapeutic for us as a family, as we worked together to process the entire thing {as you can imagine, it was very overwhelming}.


And of course, being the family junker {none of my relatives seem to share my adoration of all things flea-markety}, a lot of it just went with me. {They were ready to rent a dumpster and toss it all!} But, we ended up salvaging a lot of stuff. I can just look around my home and see so many pieces that were from that summer. I've even refinished several pieces for my parents' home from that house, too {and now they don't think it was as crazy as it seemed at the time to save it all}.


But all that to say...I have a lot of antique metal buckets. And this is how I used one.


DIY Drink Station from a thrift store side table. Includes a tutorial on how to achieve the weathered paint finish.

After cutting out the hole, I painted the piece in a dark grey chalk paint. I didn't want to sand or anything, so chalk paint was an obvious choice.


DIY Drink Station from a thrift store side table. Includes a tutorial on how to achieve the weathered paint finish.

I used a wax puck along the edges of the piece, to keep the next layer of paint from sticking very well to those spots. You could also use a taper candle in the same manner.


DIY Drink Station from a thrift store side table. Includes a tutorial on how to achieve the weathered paint finish.

Then, I went over it with my aqua colored paint. This is a new shade that I used on the porch ceiling and back door recently {I'll be posting about it on my painting blog soon}. I did a semi-dry brush to not have the paint stick everywhere.


DIY Drink Station from a thrift store side table. Includes a tutorial on how to achieve the weathered paint finish.

After it dried, I sanded with the grain of the wood. Since the darker color was the base coat, it showed through really well. I didn't top coat it since I used exterior paint.


The bucket fit in perfectly. And it's great to be able to pull it out and refill as we need to {or dump the ice}. Isn't it fun?

And it's the perfect spot for all the drinkage.

I really want to host Thanksgiving on my back patio this year {it's Texas, y'all...it would be perfection that time of year}. I think this will be perfect for all of the wine...and the bottom shelf can be full of stemless glasses.


DIY Drink Station from a thrift store side table. Includes a tutorial on how to achieve the weathered paint finish.

I also made the sign above it...which I'll be posting about at the new blog as well. I love how it points the way to the fun!


Original article and pictures take http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2014/07/diy-drink-station.html?m=1 site


Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий