суббота, 28 января 2017 г.

Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees

Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees
Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees

Materials:


  • 1/2″ x 2″ x 4′ poplar boards
  • Thin metal rods (I used a spare metal tomato cage)
  • Wood Glue
  • Drill and drill bit
  • Metal cutting tool (I used an old PVC pipe cutter and by the time I was done cutting it was ruined. Oopsie!)

First I cut the angles for all of my wood boards. This part was really tricky because my miter saw didn’t have the settings for the angles I needed. My husband rigged up some type of jig and ended up getting them to how I wanted them. I want to say that they are cut at about 70 degrees at the top and 15 degrees on the bottom where they join the bottom piece .


Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees

I stained all of my wood boards with Rustoleum’s Dark Walnut.


Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees

After the stain dried I marked where I wanted my metal rods to be and drilled shallow holes into the wood boards with a drill bit. I measured the length for my metal rods and then cut them to size with my PVC cutter.


Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees

I applied glue to all of my joints and quickly popped the metal rods into place, trying not to let the glue drip everywhere. A wet napkin took care of any drips or spills. I clamped the top boards together, as well as the bottom board and stand and then taped the two bottom joints with painter’s tape to hold them in place while the glue dried.


Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees

After 24 hours, I took off the clamps and peeled off the tape. Now it was time to decorate!


Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees

Aren’t they cute?! I used mini ornaments to decorate them because the size was more proportional. I popped the tops of the ornaments off and placed the hanger part over the rod while attaching the rest of the ornament from underneath.


Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees

Some of the rods were angled steep enough that the ornaments kept sliding down, so I remedied that by placing a tiny drop of hot glue on the back side. Problem solved!


Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees

You can see more of my fun DIY and craft projects over at my blog or by following me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest! Thank you so much for having me, Maryann! I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!


Knock-off Crate & Barrel Ornament Trees

© Copyright 2014 Little Red Brick House, All rights Reserved. Written For: Domestically Speaking


Original article and pictures take http://www.domestically-speaking.com/2014/12/knock-off-crate-and-barrel-ornament-trees.html#_a5y_p=3034331 site


Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий