I don’t do it very often…but sometimes it’s nice to boost the “clean smell” of the house by sprinkling the carpets with a little “carpet deodorant”.
I can only imagine that if you had pets it would be more of a NECESSITY than a NICETY.
But when I happened to look at my $5.00 container of carpet powder recently and saw the ingredients….
…..I figured there had to be a better alternative.
Of course there was….and not only is it made from all natural ingredients (Yes! Borax IS a “natural” ingredient!) it’s also made with products easily found in your local grocery store and is fairly inexpensive!
So now you can keep your carpets smelling fresh without bringing unnecessary chemicals into your home.
Natural Carpet Powder
- Combine borax and baking soda in glass or plastic bowl.
- Add about 20-25 drops of essential oil OR a teaspoon of cinnamon or ground cloves.
- Stir to combine until the mixture is free of lumps.
- Transfer powder to an empty container (an empty cheese container would work nicely.)
- Shake the powder onto your carpets at let sit for 15 to 20 minutes before vacuuming.
Tip #1: Don’t use ground cinnamon or cloves if you have a lighter colored carpet and you’re worried about potential staining. You can use cinnamon or clove essential oil instead if you still want to incorporate their scent into your carpet powder.
Tip #2: If you or someone in your family is sensitive to smells, use plain baking soda only for your carpeting. It is effective in neutralizing the odors in the room.
Enjoy your fresh carpets!
Original article and pictures take http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/07/make-your-own-deodorizing-carpet-powder.html site